Whether you’re planning on hiking, surfing, or doing any sport really—yoga will only make you better at these activities by strengthening the body, building stamina, and of course, improving flexibility.
- Try a gentler approach. If you’re performing a yoga pose that increases your body temperature (like Surya Namaskara) then slow down. Don’t rush, go at a little slower pace than normal. Take two breaths rather than one.
- Consider your timing. Try practicing during the early morning hours when your body and the weather are cooler. Generally, it’s a good idea to avoid practicing during the heat of the day and especially in direct sunlight. This is a sure way to overheat the body.
- The third and final step is to choose yoga poses that help the body release heat, such as forward bends. We will show a few poses perfect for this. Forward bending poses physically cool down the body and help keep the mind calm. These are extremely helpful to counteract deep and more intense back bending poses.
All of the poses pictured are part of the Ashtanga Yoga series.
Start in Samasthitih (the mountain pose).
- INHALE. Bring the arms up.
- EXHALE. Bend the torso forward and bring the head towards the knees.
- INHALE. Lift the torso and head half way and look forward.
- EXHALE. Chaturanga, jump back with your legs like a plane pose (keep the hands and toes on the floor only) but move the body lower.
- INHALE. Urdhva mukha, push the chest forward, lift the head upward, straighten the arms and the thighs or knees shouldn’t touch the floor.
- EXHALE. Adho mukha, lift the waist up, bring the heels towards the floor, bring the gaze towards the navel and stay here for 5 breaths.
- INHALE. Jump so that the feet are in the middle of the hands, and lift the head up.
- EXHALE. Bend the torso forward as shown in fig. 2.
- INHALE. Lift the arms up.
- EXHALE. Samasthitih.
8. INHALE. Come up and return to Samasthitih.
2. Fold the right leg to the side touching the inner thigh with the toes, keep the left leg straight and grab the left foot (if this is not possible just take your leg as far that you can).
2. Bend the right knee up and bring the right foot next to the right gluteus.